Nutrition and food production
By Ebell Kwon
Calorific values of various food
- Calorific value is the amounts of energy contained in food.
- Calorific value is the energy released when 1 gram of food is burnt in a bomb calorimeter.
- The Calorific value of carbohydrates is 16 .7 kJ/g, that of proteins is 16.7kJ/g and thatof fats is 37.6kJ/g.
- The actual enrgy contained in a meal mostly depends on the amounts of carbohydrate, proteins and fats.
- Calorific value is usually measured in the units of calorie or joule.
- The conversion is
4.2 kilo joule
Factor that affects total calorie required by an individual.
- Body Size
- Nature Of Work
- External environment
- Status of Health